DR Congo players celebrate qualifying for World Cup 2026 [Eloisa Sanchez/Reuters]
The DR Congo national football team has been told to isolate for 21 days before entering the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup due to the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Andrew Giuliani confirmed Friday that the Congolese delegation must remain inside a controlled training “bubble” in Belgium before traveling to the US.
Giuliani warned:
“They need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the US.”
World Cup Schedule at Risk
DR Congo is scheduled to play:
- Portugal national football team on June 17 in Houston
- Colombia national football team on June 23 in Guadalajara
- Uzbekistan national football team on June 27 in Atlanta
The team must reportedly remain isolated until June 11 before being cleared to enter the US.
Ebola Outbreak Raising Global Concern
Earlier this month, the DRC confirmed an outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. Health officials say:
- Nearly 600 suspected cases have been reported
- More than 130 people have died
The outbreak has already triggered international health alerts and travel concerns.
Team Relocates Training Camp
To reduce risks, DR Congo canceled its training camp in Kinshasa and moved preparations to Belgium.
The squad is also scheduled to play warm-up friendlies:
- Against Denmark national football team in Liege on June 3
- Against Chile national football team in Spain on June 9
Most players already compete professionally in Europe, including:
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Yoane Wissa
- Chancel Mbemba
US Says No Risks Will Be Taken
Giuliani said US authorities are prioritizing health security around the World Cup:
“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this.”
The situation highlights growing concern about how global health emergencies could impact major international sporting events.