Attempt follows online calls for another mass crossing, two weeks after a deadly surge overwhelmed the Spanish enclave
By SCN NEWS DESK
FNIDEQ, Morocco — Moroccan police arrested at least 111 migrants on Saturday as they attempted to reach Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta, authorities said, after Morocco and Spain deployed additional security forces to prevent a repeat of a massive and deadly border surge two weeks ago.
The migrants were detained in and around Fnideq, the Moroccan city bordering Ceuta, after calls circulated on social media encouraging another mass attempt to enter Spanish territory, according to Moroccan officials and Reuters reporting.
A provincial official said 109 of those detained were nationals of other African countries and two were Moroccan citizens.
Moroccan authorities said the increased security presence prevented a mass crossing and that the situation around Ceuta and Melilla, Spain's other North African enclave, remained under control.
The attempted crossing came after Spanish and Moroccan authorities reinforced the frontier amid online messages encouraging migrants to gather near Ceuta on August 15.
Moroccan riot police were deployed around Fnideq and access routes to the border, while security forces intercepted groups attempting to approach Ceuta. Reuters footage showed migrants being stopped by Moroccan police and groups sitting near the border under security supervision.
Spain also deployed more than 500 additional police officers to Ceuta and strengthened maritime security as officials prepared for another possible rush.
The operation follows an extraordinary migration crisis in late July, when tens of thousands of people crossed from Morocco into Ceuta by land and sea.
Reuters reported that more than 72,000 migrants eventually entered Ceuta during the surge, overwhelming the enclave, while at least 96 people died, many while attempting dangerous sea crossings.
Thousands initially remained in Ceuta after the influx, placing severe pressure on reception centres and local services. Authorities subsequently returned large numbers to Morocco, though local officials estimated earlier this month that between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants were still in the enclave.
Social media has played a significant role in both episodes.
Reporting by Reuters and the Associated Press found that rumours and misleading online claims contributed to the July surge, including suggestions that border controls had weakened and migrants would be able to reach Spanish territory without being immediately returned.
Economic hardship and unemployment, particularly among younger Moroccans, were also identified as important drivers behind the attempts.
Morocco's Interior Ministry said earlier this week that authorities were monitoring online activity encouraging another mass crossing and had increased security along the borders with both Ceuta and Melilla.
The ministry warned that people organising or encouraging illegal crossings could face prosecution.
The renewed security operation comes amid political pressure on both Madrid and Rabat over their handling of the July crisis.
The European Union's migration chief said this month that Brussels should use its leverage to secure Morocco's cooperation in preventing irregular crossings, underscoring the importance of Rabat's border enforcement to Spain and the wider EU.
Questions have also been raised over whether authorities reacted quickly enough before the previous surge. Reuters reported Saturday that Spanish border workers and unions had warned about the risk before the influx but said they lacked clear instructions as the situation deteriorated.
Ceuta and Melilla represent the European Union's only land borders with Africa and have long been major pressure points for migrants seeking to enter European territory.
Migration has also periodically complicated relations between Spain and Morocco. During a previous crisis in 2021, thousands of migrants entered Ceuta after Moroccan border controls were relaxed amid a diplomatic dispute between Madrid and Rabat over Western Sahara.
Saturday's deployment, however, demonstrated a markedly different response, with Moroccan security forces moving to prevent migrants from reaching the frontier before another large-scale crossing could develop.
Authorities on both sides remained on heightened alert as officials continued monitoring social media for further attempts to mobilise migrants toward the border.