}

Israeli Strikes Kill 11 in Southern Lebanon as Fragile Truce Faces New Test

SCN NEWS
By -
0

 

Three children among those killed as Beirut condemns attacks and Israel says it targeted Hezbollah infrastructure

By SCN NEWS DESK

BEIRUT — Israeli airstrikes across southern Lebanon killed at least 11 people on Saturday, including three children, Lebanese authorities said, in one of the deadliest episodes since a fragile truce between Israel and Hezbollah took effect in June.

Lebanon's Health Ministry said seven people were killed in Ansar, where an airstrike hit a house near the southern village. Three children were among the dead. Another strike in Deir al-Zahrani killed four people, bringing the combined death toll to 11.

The attacks came at a particularly sensitive moment, with the United States trying to keep negotiations between Lebanon and Israel moving toward a broader security arrangement for the border region.

Israel says Hezbollah infrastructure targeted

The Israeli military said its operations targeted Hezbollah infrastructure and described the strikes as a response to activity threatening Israeli forces.

Israel has continued to carry out operations in southern Lebanon despite the June ceasefire framework, arguing that Hezbollah must be prevented from rebuilding its military capabilities near the border.

The latest violence follows another period of heightened tensions. Earlier this month, Israel carried out strikes in southern Lebanon after what it described as a Hezbollah violation, while two Israeli soldiers were killed during fighting in the area.

Lebanese leaders condemn strikes

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam condemned Saturday's attacks, accusing Israel of targeting civilians and undermining attempts to stabilise the country.

President Joseph Aoun also criticised the escalation, warning that continued Israeli military operations risk damaging diplomatic efforts aimed at securing a lasting settlement.

The strikes represent another challenge to a ceasefire that had sharply reduced the intensity of fighting but failed to completely halt Israeli attacks or eliminate tensions along the border.

Dispute over Hezbollah disarmament

At the heart of the current diplomatic confrontation is the future of Hezbollah's weapons.

A U.S.-brokered framework links an Israeli withdrawal from areas it controls in southern Lebanon with steps toward the disarmament of Hezbollah and other armed groups.

Israel has said its military withdrawal depends on Hezbollah being disarmed. Hezbollah, however, has rejected discussions about surrendering its weapons while Israeli forces remain on Lebanese territory.

The United States has been attempting to bridge those positions, including discussions over a possible international mechanism for verifying Lebanese army operations and Hezbollah's disarmament.

Saturday's deaths threaten to make those negotiations significantly more difficult.

Southern Lebanon remains volatile

Southern Lebanon has endured repeated Israeli airstrikes, artillery attacks and clashes during the wider regional conflict.

Although the June truce reduced the scale of hostilities, sporadic attacks have continued, leaving civilians in communities close to the border facing persistent insecurity.

The latest strikes underscore how quickly the ceasefire could come under pressure as Israel demands concrete action against Hezbollah while Beirut seeks an Israeli withdrawal and an end to military operations on Lebanese territory.

With Washington-led diplomacy still underway, Saturday's bloodshed adds fresh urgency — and another major obstacle — to efforts to prevent southern Lebanon from sliding back into full-scale conflict.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

Cookie Notice

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn more
Ok, Go it!