By Jahanzaib Saqib I SCN NEWS DESK
LONDON — Prince Harry and Meghan are preparing for a significant return to Britain six years after stepping away from royal duties, but one of the issues that helped define their departure remains unresolved: exactly what level of protection they and their children will receive while living in the UK, and who will pay for it.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham declined Thursday to disclose whether the government would fund security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, describing the arrangements as a “private matter.” Asked directly about the issue, Burnham said it was a matter for Harry and Meghan and wished them well with their move.
The carefully limited response is significant because the couple's return does not appear to represent a restoration of their former position as working royals. Current reporting says Harry and Meghan have no plans to resume official royal duties even as they establish a home in Britain and prepare for their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, to attend school in the country.
That distinction matters for security. Harry once received automatic publicly funded police protection as a senior working member of the Royal Family, but those arrangements changed after he and Meghan stepped back from royal duties in 2020 and moved to North America. His protection in Britain subsequently became subject to individual security assessments rather than the automatic arrangement he previously enjoyed.
Harry spent years challenging that system through the courts and has repeatedly argued that the security question affects whether he can safely bring his wife and children to Britain. The dispute therefore has never been simply about whether Harry himself can visit the UK; it has been closely connected to whether his family can establish a meaningful presence there.
Their planned return now puts that question into a different context. Occasional visits can be assessed around specific events and itineraries. A family living in Britain for an extended period, with children attending school and Harry undertaking regular activities, potentially creates a much broader security requirement.
Yet current reporting indicates that no blanket return of taxpayer-funded armed police protection has been announced. The Times reported Thursday that the Sussexes' security arrangements remain undecided amid a backlog of cases being considered by the relevant risk-management process.
That is why Burnham's refusal to discuss funding should not be interpreted as confirmation that the government has either approved or rejected publicly funded protection. His statement establishes only that Downing Street does not intend to publicly discuss the couple's specific arrangements.
The government has strong reasons for maintaining that position. Detailed protective-security decisions involving prominent individuals are ordinarily kept confidential because disclosing operational arrangements could itself create security risks. The question of who ultimately pays, however, carries a separate public-interest dimension because any use of taxpayer-funded police protection inevitably attracts political scrutiny.
Harry's situation is also unusual because private security cannot necessarily reproduce every capability available to state protection teams. The dispute surrounding his UK security has included questions about access to intelligence, armed protection and coordination with British authorities — capabilities that go beyond simply hiring private guards.
The couple's changed royal status therefore creates a difficult boundary. They remain globally recognisable members of the King's family, and Harry is the son of King Charles III, but they are no longer working royals performing duties on behalf of the monarch.
Their return does not appear to change that arrangement.
AP reports that Harry and Meghan intend to live in a private residence outside London while maintaining homes in California and Portugal. Their children are expected to begin school in Britain in September, while Harry plans to devote more time to his UK charities and Meghan continues her business activities.
The move is consequently better understood as a private family relocation rather than a return to royal service.
That distinction may ultimately shape the security solution.
The couple could maintain privately financed protection for ordinary life while receiving additional state protection when official risk assessments determine it is necessary. Alternatively, authorities could arrive at another case-specific arrangement. No authoritative public confirmation currently establishes exactly which model will apply.
The timing also gives the return broader significance. Reuters notes that Harry and Meghan are returning to the British media environment they sought to escape when they moved abroad, while unresolved family tensions and the security question remain part of the landscape they will encounter.
Their children change the practical equation as well. Archie and Lilibet were much younger when the family settled in California; they are now expected to attend school in Britain, transforming security from something primarily associated with Harry's scheduled appearances into an everyday family consideration.
That makes the government's silence more consequential than it initially sounds.
Burnham has not announced that taxpayers will protect Harry and Meghan. He has not announced that they will not. And there is no indication that their decision to return automatically restores the security arrangements Harry enjoyed before leaving frontline royal life.
Instead, Britain is confronting an unusual situation: a son of the King and his family are preparing to live in the country again as private, non-working royals while the state still has to determine what protection their risk profile requires.
That is the unresolved issue beneath Thursday's “private matter” response.
Harry and Meghan may have decided to return to Britain. Their security question, however, has not necessarily returned with them to its pre-2020 position.
SCN MOST VERIFIED & UNIQUE FACT
The important distinction is that moving back to Britain does not itself restore Harry's former royal-security status. Current reporting says there are no plans for Harry and Meghan to resume working-royal roles, while their taxpayer-funded armed protection remains unresolved.
So SCN should not report “UK government will pay Harry and Meghan's security” based on Burnham's statement. His answer was a refusal to disclose the arrangements, not confirmation of public funding.