Court blocks Trump’s FBI headquarters reversal, reviving Maryland project Congress had already funded
By Mayson Woodenbridge I SCN NEWS
WASHINGTON — A federal judge has blocked the Trump administration from abandoning the long-planned FBI headquarters project in suburban Maryland for an existing federal building in Washington, delivering a major victory to Maryland while reinforcing a broader constraint on presidential power: an administration cannot simply replace a congressionally prescribed federal project with its preferred alternative.
U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang ruled Monday that the administration acted unlawfully when it discarded the previously selected Greenbelt, Maryland, site and chose the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in downtown Washington as the FBI’s future headquarters.
The ruling also prevents the administration from renovating the Reagan Building for FBI use or redirecting $555 million in congressional funding toward that plan.
The distinction is important.
The court did not simply decide whether Maryland or Washington offered the better headquarters.
Chuang found that Congress had already limited the government's legal choices.
Congressional measures in 2022 and 2023 directed the General Services Administration, which manages federal property, to select the new headquarters from three previously identified suburban sites: Greenbelt and Landover in Maryland, or Springfield in Virginia.
GSA selected Greenbelt in 2023 following a years-long competition.
The Reagan Building was not one of those three sites.
Chuang concluded that nothing in the congressional language gave the executive branch authority to unilaterally cancel the selected site and substitute a location outside that process.
That finding turns what appeared to be another Trump administration reversal of a Biden-era decision into a broader separation-of-powers dispute over who ultimately controls a massive federal project when Congress has specified how appropriated money can be used.
The Trump administration announced in July 2025 that it would abandon Greenbelt and instead move the FBI into the Reagan Building, only a few blocks from the bureau's deteriorating J. Edgar Hoover Building.
FBI Director Kash Patel and administration officials argued that repurposing an existing federal property would be dramatically cheaper than constructing an entirely new campus.
GSA estimated the Reagan Building renovation at roughly $1.6 billion, compared with as much as $2.4 billion for new construction in Greenbelt, according to figures reported by The Washington Post.
But the court found that potential savings did not give the administration legal authority to bypass Congress's instructions.
The ruling therefore creates a notable collision between two arguments: the administration's claim that it is pursuing a cheaper federal real-estate strategy and the court's finding that cost considerations cannot override statutory limits imposed by Congress.
The FBI strongly criticised the decision.
“This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the bureau said in a statement reported by Reuters and AP, accusing the court of intervening for political reasons.
The FBI said it would continue pursuing what it considers the best option for law enforcement.
Maryland officials, meanwhile, described the decision as vindication after more than a decade of competition and planning.
Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown and Prince George's County sued the administration in November 2025, arguing that abandoning Greenbelt violated congressional directives and unlawfully redirected money appropriated for the headquarters project.
Their lawsuit said Congress had appropriated more than $1.1 billion between 2016 and 2024 for the broader FBI headquarters effort.
That makes the financial dispute substantially larger than the $555 million specifically blocked from being redirected to the Reagan Building by Monday's ruling.
Greenbelt itself was not an arbitrary Biden administration selection.
GSA's original 2023 decision shows the government chose a 61-acre site after evaluating transportation access, cost, development flexibility, project schedule, sustainability and other criteria.
GSA said at the time that Greenbelt offered the lowest cost to taxpayers, the strongest transportation access and the greatest certainty around the project's delivery schedule among the three congressionally authorised suburban options.
The headquarters fight therefore contains an unusual contradiction.
The Biden-era GSA concluded that Greenbelt was the most advantageous and least costly option among the sites Congress authorised.
The Trump administration later concluded that abandoning new construction entirely and renovating an existing Washington building would save even more money.
Monday's ruling did not settle which calculation ultimately offers taxpayers the best value.
Instead, it found that the administration could not reach its preferred result by ignoring the site-selection boundaries Congress had already established.
The economic stakes for Maryland are also substantial.
Prince George's County Executive Aisha Braveboy said the headquarters could bring approximately 7,500 jobs and represent around $4 billion in investment for the county, with officials hoping the project would stimulate related cybersecurity and technology development.
For Maryland, that explains why the headquarters battle has continued across presidential administrations.
For the FBI, the underlying problem remains unresolved after nearly 15 years of planning: where and how to replace the aging J. Edgar Hoover Building on Pennsylvania Avenue.
The current headquarters, dedicated in 1975, has deteriorated so badly that protective netting has been used around portions of the structure because of falling debris. The FBI itself has previously said the building fails to meet modern security and operational requirements.
Monday's decision therefore does not end the headquarters saga.
The court has blocked the Reagan Building route and prevented the administration from using the disputed funding for that alternative. Maryland officials say this clears the path back toward Greenbelt.
But the administration can appeal, and Chuang has ordered the parties to submit a joint status report outlining proposed next steps.
That leaves an important difference between the political and legal descriptions of the ruling.
Maryland has regained the advantage, but the court has not yet handed Maryland a completed FBI headquarters.
What the decision establishes more clearly is the boundary facing the executive branch: after Congress restricted the headquarters search to three suburban locations and federal officials selected Greenbelt through that process, a new administration could not simply create a fourth option and redirect congressionally appropriated money toward it.
After more than a decade of disputes over cost, security, politics and geography, the FBI headquarters battle has consequently become something larger than a fight between Maryland and Washington.
It is now also a test of how far a president can rewrite a major federal project after Congress has already determined the rules under which it must proceed.